Births Marriages and Deaths


As soon as you have registered the birth of your baby with the registrar, please make sure you contact the Practice to notify us.



Please remember to advise the Practice if you change your name when you get married.



Sometimes the Practice is not always aware that a patient has died, for example if the death occurs while away from home. In this instance we would therefore be grateful if you could advise the Practice. For more information and support please view the practice Bereavement leaflet.

We would like you to know that we sympathise with you in your bereavement and hope that this leaflet will be of help with some of the practicalities at this difficult time.

What Happens First?

The Medical Certificate of Cause of Death will be sent directly to the Registrar so you no longer need to  collect a copy of this. If a death occurs in the community the GP surgery will issue this. If the death occurs in hospital the certificate is provided by the Doctor who has been treating the deceased. Should the Coroner be involved, his officers will advise the family on the certificate and when this will be issued.


Notify the Funeral Director of your choice

When you contact the funeral director, you  will need the name and address of the deceased and the person to contact for arrangements (name and telephone number).  Whether the funeral is to be a burial or a cremation is not essential but is helpful if known.
Funeral directors usually operate a twenty four hour telephone service and will arrange to collect the deceased.

Should you wish for special arrangements for the funeral  i.e. for religious reasons, the authorities will help.  Notify the funeral director at the time and they will advise.


What happens if the Coroner is involved?

In the case of an unexpected death it may be necessary for a Coroner’s inquest in which case there may be a delay in arranging the funeral. 

This happens when: 

  • A doctor did not treat the person during their last illness
  • A doctor did not see or treat the person for the condition from which they died within 28 days of death
  • Death was sudden, unexplained or attended by suspicious circumstances
  • Death occurred during an operation or before the recovery from the effect of an anaesthetic
  • Where the death occurred in any other circumstances that may require investigation 

In this situation the Coroner will be contacted and his officers  will then liaise with the family and   advise them accordingly.


You will need to Register a death with the District Registrar.

You are required by law to register a death with the Registrar of Births, Marriages and Deaths within 5 days of a death where possible. In the event the death certificate is unavailable before this deadline please do this as soon as you are notified it has been sent to the Registrar. 

Who can register the death?

  • A relative
  • Someone who was present at the death
  • The occupier of the house or an official from the public building where the death occurred, e.g. the hospital
  • The person making the arrangements with the funeral director

To make an appointment to register a death please visit the government website
If you do not have access to the internetor are unable to access the website for any reason please call: 03000 41 51 51.

Please note it is necessary to book an appointment prior to attending. 

The Medical Certificate of Cause of Death will be supplied by the Coroner and it is wise to ensure this has been sent to the Registrar from the surgery before making the appointment. The GP surgery will contact the patient’s Next of Kin when this has been completed.


What to take with you

When registering a death, the procedure is very straightforward. The following questions will be asked:

  • Date and place of birth and death
  • Full name of deceased & their address
  • Marriage status of deceased
  • Their last occupation and if female; their maiden name
  • If married or in a civil partnership the date of death, the date of birth and the occupation of the surviving partner
  • Whether they had any government pension or other benefits

Take with you any documents relating to the deceased, such as:  Birth Certificate, Marriage or civil partnership certificate (if applicable), NHS card, Passport, Driving licence, Council tax bill, Proof of address (e.g utility bill). Do not worry if you cannot find the necessary documents, however, it is helpful.

The Registrar will issue you with the following Certificates:

  • A certificate for burial or cremation  (form 9) a green form to give to the funeral director. 
  • A certificate of registration of death  (BD8 form) a white form to be completed and sent by you, with any benefit or pension details to the Department of Work and Pensions. 

You will need to report the death to many organisations and government departments.

The Tell Us Once service can help you by telling most organisations on your behalf. Whilst your district council can provide you with support and advice for funeral arrangements, cremations, burial costs, cemetery and burial ground records. 



Is there a Will?

If it is known that a will was made it is important that the contents should be ascertained as soon as possible after death as it may contain directions as to the funeral arrangements etc. This may be among personal papers at home, or with a bank or solicitor for safe custody.


What shall I do?

Perhaps the simplest procedure is to instruct a  solicitor to act for you. This will not necessarily  involve you in great expense and will almost     certainly relieve you of many worries.

If you decide to use a solicitor, they will need to see a copy of the death certificate.

They will also require such items as

  • Deeds of any owned property
  • Inheritance Tax Forms
  • Savings Certificates & Premium Bonds
  • Pension Books & Insurance Policies – in the name of the deceased.

They will also need to have particulars of any debts that may be owing. You don’t need to worry about paying these immediately. They can be dealt with in due course. Should you find yourself in temporary difficulty with regard to finance,  many banks may let you use the money in the  deceased person's account to pay for expenses  relating to the death including organising  and paying for a funeral, buying a headstone, paying any inheritance tax. 


You need to talk to someone about your loss.

Your GP will always help, but there are other organisations that can also assist you:

  • CRUSE is a counselling service dealing specifically with bereavement. The telephone number 0808 808 1677
  • THE SAMARITANS operate a FREE 24 hour  service to offer listening and support to people in times of need. The telephone number is:  116 123

For online support and advice visit:


Bereavement Payment

If your spouse has died you may be able to obtain a Bereavement Payment of £2,500 (and up to £3,500). You must claim this within 3 months of your partner’s death to get the full amount. 

You may be able to claim Bereavement Payment if your husband, wife or civil partner had paid their National Insurance contributions for at least 25 weeks in one tax year or their death was caused by their job. There may be other restrictions too depending on your specific circumstances.

  • For more information on Bereavement Payment you can call the Bereavement Service Helpline free on: 0800 151 2012 (Text: 0800 731 0464)
  • Relay UK - if you can't hear or speak on the phone, you can type what you want to say and send it to: 18001 then 0800 731 0469.

Further detailed information can be obtained from the following websites